The Real Niçoise Salad comes from the South of France, the city of Nice. This salad can be as a main course or before the main dish. Healthy, Colorful, and Tasty!
Initially, it seems that the Niçoise salad consisted of tomatoes, anchovies, and olive oil. And if it has been enriched with a certain number of ingredients over time, we still do not have the right to put everything and anything in it. For example, the Niçoise salad does not contain cooked vegetables, contrary to what Auguste Escoffier wrote in his Culinary Guide from the beginning of the 20th century when he proposed to enrich it with green beans and potatoes. And of course, no rice or corn either, as it is still sometimes found in particular so-called “Nice” salads, served here and there. The only authorized vegetables are raw and choose from this list: tomato, fava beans, pepper artichoke, pepper, small white onions or spring onions, and small black olives (such as “paillette,” a Nice variety which benefits from a PDO ). To these ingredients, we can add cucumber, pepper, mesclun (or arugula), or even radish, for example.
Niçoise Salad: Choose the Suitable Serving Dish
Instead of a bowl that is a little too deep, if possible, we prefer a sizeable hollow dish, more comprehensive than it is high, which will allow the salad ingredients to be nicely arranged. Before being garnished, this hollow dish will be rubbed with a peeled clove of garlic.
The Real Niçoise SaladCourse: French Recipes, Healthy, Recepies, Summer recipesCuisine: FrenchDifficulty: Easy
4 fresh seasonal tomatoes
2 small chop onions
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. kosher salt
5 large eggs
1 lb. green beans, trimmed and/or new or baby potatoes, halved if larger
3 cups oil-packed tuna
Olives, capers, peperoncini, pickles, or other pickled-briny ingredients (for serving)
1 Green salad
- For the sauce
2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 Crush cloves garlic
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & black pepper
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Carefully add eggs and cook for 10 minutes in a medium heat. Transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water (keep pot over high heat); chill until cold, about 5 minutes. Peel; set aside.
- Meanwhile, add green beans and potatoes to the same pot of boiling water and cook until just tender, 5 minutes for green beans, 20-30 in medium heat minutes for potatoes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to bowl of cold water; let sit until cold, about 5 minutes.
- To serve, Add anchovy, slice eggs in half and arrange on a platter with tuna and black olives. Top with pickled-briny ingredients, sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle some reserved dressing over.
- To make the sauce: In a medium bowl whisk oil, lemon juice, mustard, pepper, and 1 tsp. kosher salt, chopped onions, set dressing aside.
- Serve with remaining dressing alongside.