Rougail sausage is one of the classic and traditional dishes in Reunion. It’s for me the more comfortable to cook and economical. In my family, we often eat this dish accompany by rice (always), and we enjoy it all in the family. It is one of my favorites because it’s tasty and the convives are still happy; if you want to cook a new and delicious dish for your guest this is the best! They will love it.
Rougail sausage is a dish from Reunion Island, made from Creole sausages cut into pieces, accompanied by rice and rougail (tomatoes cut into small cubes, crushed ginger, sliced onions, and peppers). This dish remains one of the flagship dishes of this magnificent island in the Indian Ocean. You will find it in the Sunday meals of every Reunionese family. If you are spending your vacation in Reunion, you can enjoy this dish in one of the hotels, apartments, or residences on the island.
Which sausage to choose for the Rougail Sausages recipe?
No good recipe without the right ingredients! Traditionally, the rougail sausage is made from pork. We use sausages from Reunion, but it can be hard to find this in the USA. Sausages low in fat, fresh or smoky (we also say smoked) can be flavored with thyme or garlic.
How to eat the Rougail Sausage?
This dish often serves with canned or self-prepared lentils and rice. Drizzle with the onion sprigs and parsley just before serving. You can enjoy it with pickles of vegetables or tropical fruits for fans of spicy meals such as green mangoes. In Réunion, they also often accompany their dishes with beans, peas, or a stew of various and varied vegetables.
What to drink with a Sausage Rougail?
Along with rice, meat, and vegetables, the main ingredient in rougail sausages is conviviality. And for that, you have to toast! Are you rather beautiful dresses? In the absence of red wine from Cilaos, a Beaujolais Nouveau should be slight.
The REAL Rougail SausageCourse: classic, Creole Recipes, Recepies
This sausage rougail recipe is quick and easy to prepare! It’s is one of Reunion Island’s traditional dishes, probably the most emblematic, to be tested urgently!
Six smoked sausages or four smoked sausages of the Montbéliard type
Six cloves of garlic
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Salt & pepper
One teaspoon of ground turmeric
Optional: hot chili
- Pierce the sausages and cook them in boiling water for 10 min. Empty the pot and reserve the links.
- In the same pot, heat some vegetable oil. Sauté the chopped onions and crushed garlic in it until they start to color.
- Cut the sausages into 1 or 2 cm sections and brown them with the onions. 4- After 5 min, add the tomatoes cut into small pieces and the turmeric, salt, and pepper (be careful, cut it into pieces, the dish will be spicier).
- Mix well and simmer over low heat, removing the cover from time to time to remove excess water.
- When the tomatoes are cook, the sauce should be thick and very red. Above all, do not add water
Did you like this recipe and want more? Check out my cookbook
You may also like: