The lentil has traditionally been cultivated in this mountainous part of the island since 1857. Cilaos, a spa town in the center of Reunion Island is popular for the production of lentils.
Lentils are high in Fiber
To stay healthy, the World Health Organization (WHO) recommends consuming 20g of fiber daily. Good news: lentils are a great addition. 100g of cooked lentils contain an average of 8g of fiber. They include two types of fiber: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. The former help prevents cardiovascular disease and diabetes by slowing the rate of absorption of sugars. They also have an impact on satiety. The latter is essential for good transit, and consuming them regularly would reduce the risk of colorectal cancer.
They are full of antioxidants
Catechins, saponins, procyanidins we find in lentils are all these antioxidants that are part of the flavonoid family, molecules known to fight against cholesterol and cell aging.
They are suitable for the heart
In addition to soluble fiber, which lowers cardiovascular risk, these valuable legumes contain high amounts of essential nutrients like magnesium and folic acid, both of which help take care of our heart.
They are suitable for the diet
With an average of 115 calories per 100g of cooked lentils, we can say that these legumes are low in calories. Lentils also benefit from having a shallow glycemic index, so they’re great for fighting cravings.
Easy Lentils CreoleCourse: Creole Recipes, Healthy, RecepiesCuisine: Creole, ReunioneseDifficulty: Easy
2 cups lentils
4 cups boiled hot water
1 sleeve thyme
1 chop onion
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon oil
Salt& black pepper
- In a medium saucepan add boiled hot water and add lentils. Cook in a small heat for 20 -30 minutes.
- Mix or crush garlic, thyme salt & black pepper. (Spices have to be as small as possible). I use a mortar pilon (amazon link)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and cook until they turn brown, about 5-7 minutes
- Add turmeric turn and the mixture of garlic,
- Add lentils and 2½ cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let sit, covered, 10 minutes; Serve lentils topped with scallions, and rice if desired.
You may Also Like: